Monday, July 14, 2008

Karachi, Pakistan

While Dad was stationed in Saudi Arabia in 1956 we went to Karachi, Pakistan to visit with an Air Force buddy of his.  I believe his name was Herb Oliver and his wife's name was Wanda.

img738 Mom and Margaret standing in front of the Oliver's house in Karachi. 1956  The Oliver's had a huge house compared to the hut that we lived in at Saudi Arabia.  They has servants to do everything.  It was the first time in my life that I had a servant standing behind me while I ate and filling up my glass every time I took a drink.  Made me feel very uncomfortable since it wasn't something that I was at all used to having.

img739 Mom, Margaret and I on the Sun Porch of the Oliver's house.  From the looks on Margaret and mine faces, it looks like we are being lectured about something.

img740 While we were there we drove around a lot in Herb's VW beatle.  While out driving one day we spotted a sign saying "Motel"  This was very rare to have  a motel in Karachi so we stopped.  The owner had been to the US and had seen some motels and decided to come back to Karachi and build one.  He was very proud of it.  I remember the rooms being very small and the mattresses being about one inch thick.  The swimming pool was green because he couldn't get the chemicals to keep it clean.  This is the owner standing with Dad.

img742  We spent a lot of time out on the beach while we were there and here are some snake charmers that showed up one day and gave us a show.

No comments: